A good breeder strives to improve the quality of the breed, adhering to the standard set by the Havanese Club of America and which has been approved by the AKC.
There are only 2 types of Breeders: Responsible and knowledgeable, or irresponsible and unknowledgeable!
Responsible breeders breed dogs only when both the sire and dam have been medically tested for genetic health problems and found to be free of such problems, have excellent temperaments, and have proper structure.
A responsible breeder also participates in canine activities other than just breeding dogs. At a minimum they should have obtained an AKC Championship in conformation on their breeding dogs or have Agility titles. They should also be involved in Dog Clubs.
Responsible Breeders care about the placement of their puppies and will ask you questions also. Responsible breeders will insist you come to their home, and never will place a puppy in a pet shot or give it to a broker to sell.
Responsible breeders provide the best care for their dogs and puppies in nutrition, cleanliness, veterinary services, socialization and lots of love! A Responsible breeder is there for you before, during and after the adoption process.
A Responsible breeder will not charge you more money for placing a purebred Havanese with AKC papers vs a puppy without AKC papers!!
You can find a good breeder by asking a lot of questions to everyone you contact. Visit dog shows to meet breeders that are probably in your area. Check the HCA Breeder Referral at: www.Havanese.org, contact Local Havanese Clubs.
Below you will find a list of questions you might want to ask of any breeder you contact. Doing your homework now, will save you grief and sorrow later. After all, you want a happy, healthy Havanese!
1. DO YOU CHECK YOUR DOGS FOR INHERITED EYE DISEASES (CERF) AND WHAT OTHER HEALTH TESTS DO YOU PERFORM ON YOUR BREEDING DOGS? ASK FOR PROOF OF HEALTH TESTING RESULTS OR FOR THE SIRE AND DAMS REGISTERED NAMES SO YOU CAN LOOK UP THEIR INFORMATION YOURSELF ON THE OFA WEBSITE. WWW.OFFA.ORG.
2.WILL YOU DO THE INITIAL WORMING AND VACCINATIONS OF THE PUPPIES? HOW MANY TIMES?
3.WHAT ARE YOUR REQUIREMENTS REGARDING SPAYING AND NEUTERING OF A PET HAVANESE?
4. WHAT CHOICES DO I HAVE REGARDING SEX AND COLOR?
5. DO YOU HAVE BOTH PARENTS ON SITE? IF YOU ONLY HAVE THE DAM, DO YOU HAVE INFORMATION AND PICTURES OF THE SIRE? NOTE: IF NEITHER PARENT IS ON SITE, RUN FAST, AND DON'T ASK ANY MORE QUESTIONS!
6. AT WHAT AGE COULD I BRING MY PUPPY HOME?
7. WHAT DO YOU CHARGE FOR SHOW OR PET? HAVANESE COST ANYWHERE FROM $1500.00 - $3000.00
8. ARE THE PARENTS AND PUPPIES AKC REGISTERED? IF NOT, WHY?
9. WILL YOU PROVIDE ME WITH A COPY OF THE PUPPIES PEDIGREE?
10. DO YOU SHOW YOUR DOGS IN CONFORMATION OR AGILITY?
11. WHAT TITLES DO YOUR DOGS HAVE? I.E. AKC CHAMPIONSHIPS, AGILITY, CANINE GOOD CITIZEN (CGC), THERAPY DOG, OBEDIENCE.
12. DO YOU HAVE A HEALTH GUARANTEE? FOR HOW LONG?
13. DO YOU REQUIRE CO-OWNERSHIP? IF SO, WHY AND FOR HOW LONG?
14. DO YOU HAVE A WAITING LIST IF YOU DON'T HAVE A PUPPY AVAILABLE NOW?
15. ARE YOU A MEMBER OF ANY HAVANESE CLUBS OR ALL BREED KENNEL CLUBS?
16. HOW MANY LITTER'S DO YOU HAVE IN A YEAR?
17. WILL YOU PROVIDE ME WITH A COPY OF YOUR CONTRACT BEFORE I COME TO GET MY PUPPY?
18. HAVE ANY OF YOUR DOGS OR THEIR OFFSPRING HAD ANY HEALTH PROBLEMS?
19. WHERE DO YOU KEEP THE PUPPIES FROM BIRTH UNTIL THEY GO TO THEIR NEW HOMES?